One of the best things about football season is all of the fun appetizers you get to make on Sundays! While you are gathered around the television, whether it is in the loft, family room or basement, here are some great recipes you can make for your friends and family.
Super Quick Chili
• 2 pounds lean ground beef
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 2 (16-oz.) cans diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion
• 2 (16-oz.) cans small red beans
• 2 (8-oz.) cans tomato sauce
• Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, diced tomatoes
1. 1. Brown beef in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain well. Return beef to Dutch oven; sprinkle with chili powder, Creole seasoning, and cumin, and sauté 1 minute.
2. 2. Stir in diced tomatoes and next 2 ingredients, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Serve with toppings.
• 2 pounds lean ground beef
• 1 Serrano chile, seeded, chopped
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
• Kosher salt
• 8 ounces coarsely grated mild yellow cheddar
• 8 ounces coarsely grated Monterey Jack Cheese
• 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
• 1 4-ounce link fresh chorizo or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
• ½ cup minced onion
• ½ cup lager
• Tortilla chips
1. Mix tomato, chile, and oregano in a small bowl. Season with salt; let salsa stand for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, toss both cheeses with flour in a medium bowl. Cook chorizo in a medium saucepan over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until it begins to render, about 1 minute. Add onion and continue cooking until chorizo is cooked and onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Transfer chorizo mixture to a small bowl; return saucepan to heat. Add beer; simmer, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits. Whisking constantly, add cheese mixture a 1/4-cupful at a time, allowing it to become blended and smooth between additions. Stir in chorizo mixture.
4. DO AHEAD Queso can be made 30 minutes ahead. Let stand at room temperature. To reheat, warm skillet with queso fundido over medium heat; stir until melted and bubbly. Using a slotted spoon, spoon salsa over queso. Serve in skillet with a basket of tortilla chips on the side.
Grilled Stuffed Jalapenos
• 2 center-cut bacon slices
• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (about 1/2 cup)
• 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 1/2 cup)
• 1 ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/4 cup)
• 1/4 cup minced green onions
• 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 small garlic clove, minced
• 14 jalapeño peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
• Cooking spray
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons chopped seeded tomato
1. 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. 2. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon. Combine crumbled bacon, cheeses, and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a bowl, stirring well to combine. Divide cheese mixture evenly to fill the pepper halves. Place peppers, cheese sides up, on grill rack or grill grate coated with cooking spray. Cover and grill peppers 8 minutes or until bottoms of peppers are charred and cheese mixture is lightly browned. Place peppers on a serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and tomato.
Ham and Cheese Stromboli
• 1 whole 16 Oz. Loaf Frozen Bread Dough, Thawed
• ¼ pounds Thinly Sliced Ham – Black Forrest
• ¼ pounds Reduced Fat Pepperoni, May Use Salami
• ½ teaspoons Dried Basil, Divided
• ½ teaspoons Oregano, Divided
• 3 ounces, weight Sliced Provolone Cheese
• 1 cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
• 1 Tablespoon Butter, Melted
• 1 teaspoon Cornmeal (optional)
1. Place bread dough on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pat into a 15 x 10” rectangle. Arrange ham slices lengthwise down center of the dough; place pepperoni on top. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon basil and ¼ teaspoon oregano. Arrange provolone cheese over herbs and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with remaining herbs. Moisten all edges of dough with water; bring each long edge of dough to center. Press edges together securely to seal. Seal ends.
2. Brush dough with 1 Tablespoon butter; sprinkle with cornmeal and carefully invert so that the seam side is down. Brush top with remaining butter. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 20-22 minutes or until browned.
3. Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Cut horizontally into slices with a serrated (bread) knife. For smaller portions, first cut vertically down the center, then into horizontal slices.